Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"She gets up while it is still dark, and provides food for her family..." Proverbs 31:15

Yeah, that's not me.  And I am feeling the need to reform this area of my life!  I would be a much, much better mother and wife--and generally a whole lot more sane--if I did a better job in the mornings.

If I'm being honest, I have to say that I have never, ever had a really good, successful morning routine.  Even when I was working, I was constantly rushing around, late and completely frantic by the time I got anywhere.  The best I've done was with Caleb before Lyla, when he was sleeping a bit late.  However, that was still unsatisfactory.

I need some suggestions!  Staying at home with kiddos is ahhhbsolutely wonderful, and one of the biggest challenges it offers me is Creating Structure.  And Sticking to A Routine.  I'm super bad at both.  I've gotten better, and am working on it.  However, in the morning, it is nearly impossible for me even think straight, much less be a careful observer of what is going on and what needs to change.  

I'd like to be the mom that wakes up before her kids, makes coffee and breakfast, has a quiet time, has breakfast with hubby, and gets dressed.  Perhaps even goes on a early morning jog or walk.  My mom always did that--still does.  

Do you have any strategies or pieces of wisdom that have helped you get into a good morning routine and stick to it?

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hi Abbie! I just found your blog, and it's fabulous! I SO can relate to this post! I totally want to be the mom that gets up before her kids and is all put together before they are, but that rarely happens for us too. My mom was that way though. Maybe it will get easier as they get older and we're not constantly getting up in the middle of the night or worrying about having to get up. :) I don't have any suggestions, but I'm right there with you. :)