Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Beauty Doubles

Today is Lyla's five-month birthday!  Yay for my little girlie.  She got her first haircut yesterday.  Pics of that soon...she's pretty cute with her little bob.

This also means that I've been un-pregnant for five months!  I've spent the past two or three struggling to reclaim my body and my...overall appearance...without breaking the bank.  I have found SO many cool things, I've just gotta share them!  

First and foremost--and where most of my other tips are coming from, is www.makeupgeek.com.  This girl is fabulous.  Before her, I had been putting my eyeshadow on the same way since high school, I kid you not.  And then I wondered why my little sister always looked better than me...more current and cute.  It can't all be because Mom and Dad are still footing the bill for her makeup!  Anyway, this site put me back in the game.  So did the free subscription to In Style I got for spending money at Ulta.

So. The problem, for me, is that there are, of course, millions of amazing products out there, that will do the job right, and make me look as fantastic as possible.  They are just way too expensive, all together.  I still have a few that I'll fork over the dough for, but fewer than I anticipated.  I went on a search for Beauty Doubles--drugstore prices for department store quality.  Here they are, with my un-double-able ones thrown in:


1.  Base your face!  Artists do this--prepping a canvas.  Makeup artists do it, too.  And so should you!  This tiny step makes all the difference in the world, makes makeup go on smoother, and last waaaaaaaaaay longer (cause what mom has time to retouch her makeup?  Please.  That is so eighth grade.).  Two products that changed the way my makeup stays put--even in the 109 (no exaggeration!) degree heat.

You are going to think I am crazy for this first one!

Monistat Chafing Gel, $7.00.  I KNOW!  I thought this was nuts, too.  It is technically for...other areas...that might rub, chafe, etc.  But what it does is "matte-ify" your whole face, dissolve the oil, and makes the foundation slide on like butter.  It also holds onto it, and keeps the oil and sweat more at bay.  If this just freaks you out, spend the dough on alternative products:  Urban Decay Face Primer, $30.00.  



Palladio Herbal Eyeshadow Primer, $8.00.  As opposed to Urban Decay Eye Primer Potion, $30.00.  Second in the Base Your Face Program is eyeshadow base.  This stuff smooths eyelids, acts as a concealer as necessary, makes colors pop and literally clings to the shadows.  I have accidentally gone to sleep with makeup still on, and STILL had it on in the morning with this stuff.  Added bonus: it makes slightly less quality eyeshadows work like the high-end ones. 


2.  Foundation.  We all need it!  Those of us over 18, anyway.


Revlon Colorstay Foundation, $5.00.  Yep, five bucks.  This is the first liquid foundation I've used in a long time.  I've been a longtime fan of Bare Minerals, which'll run you about $30.00.  It looks absolutely fantastic, but recently some doctors have brought up the potential danger of breathing in the powder (the particles are so  small, your  lungs can't really filter them out, supposedly).  I have no idea whether this is true or not--but I can say, it's harder on the pocketbook.  An extra tip:  for any liquid foundation, get a a stippling brush: 
 makes the foundation look even smoother and more perfect.

3.  Eyeshadow.  This stuff can run you pretty expensive.  My favorite brand is MAC, and it's a good $12 for a single color there.  But drug stores can catch you up, too...I was forever resolving to find a match for that perfect MAC color (for me, it's a color called Grain), and then spending 3, 4, 5 bucks over and over, ending up with not-good-enough imitations, until I got frustrated and went back to MAC.  Even more expensive in the end!  My go-to-solution, not just for eyeshadow, but for pretty much anything else they make:  


NYX Single Eyeshadow - HERBNYX Single Eyeshadow - GOLDEN DUNENYX Single Eyeshadow - EGGPLANTNYX Single Eyeshadow - MOROCCO
NYX eyeshadows, $5.50/single color.  These are basically MAC-equivalent.  So many great colors--I even  found my Grain-alike.  You can also get them in three, five and zillion-color packs.  They're available at Ulta an some drugstores.  Ulta frequently does buy-two-get-one-free sales on this stuff, so stock up then.  

4.  Mascara.  This is a no-brainer for me...I've spent ridiculous amounts trying out expensive brands, and always, always take them back and return to my original, drugstore fave:

L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Waterproof Mascara, Carbon Black 395 .23 fl oz (6.9 ml)
L'oreal Voluminous Mascara, 12.00.    I use the waterproof kind, and it. is. awesome.  Especially great for those of us with straight-as-a-board eyelashes, who spend time curling them, only to have them straighten right back out if your mascara is too watery.  Not a problem with this stuff.  If you don't mind non-waterproof, they have a new Carbon Black color that is about as black and eye-catching as you can get.

5.  Okay, let's make this simpler.  NYX products of any kind.  I've been pleased--well, delighted, actually--with everything I've tried by them.  You can't find much they have that's more than $8.00.  Here's a few I currently use daily:

NYX Mega Shine Gloss - Sunrise
NYX Megashine Lipgloss, $5.00  This stuff is shiny, gooey, and all that lipgloss should be.

NYX Cream Blush - Golden
NYX Cream Blush, $6.50.  They also have powder blushes, but I haven't tried them yet.  The cream ones have a tiny shimmer in them, great for summer.
NYX Lipliner - RoseNYX Round Lipstick - B52
NYX Lipliners, $3.50, and lipsticks, $4.00.    The lipsticks aren't that thick, pigmented kind like MAC, but they have lovely colors and go on smoothly.  I prefer the lighter kind to the goopey kind anyway.

6.  And finally, the one thing I can't find a double for, but that makes all the other savings last even longer:  Makeup setting spray.

All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray

Urban Decay "All Nighter" Makeup Setting Spray, $30.00  Here's my justification for this expensive product.  First, I can't find one that's cheaper.  Second, this stuff makes my makeup last through Texas sweat, housecleaning, nursing, chasing a two-year-old and everything in between.  And thirdly, in this busy life, if I am gonna spend time putting this stuff on, it dang well better stay there.  Or else why do any of it in the first place?  I'll let you know if I find a Beauty Double for this one.

That's it for now...gotta go get out the kiddie pool and ensure a quality naptime for Caleb.  And, just so you know, I'm not wearing a stitch of makeup while I do it.  :-)


1 comment:

Jennifer Kratky said...

Great post, Abbie! I too am experimenting with drug-store make-up after a long addiction to Sephora. I still need my Dior powder but I will definitely try your foundation recommendation. I have been happy with Loreal Infallible stick concealer for the dark spots on the outside corners of my eyes. Also Sonia Kashuk at Target for good brushes - I have the eyebrow brush.