Tuesday, July 27, 2010

WWSS?

from The Office:
Dwight: Michael once said to me, "Dwight, don't be an idiot." Changed my life. Now, when I am about to do something, I think "Would an idiot do that thing?" And if they would, then I do NOT do that thing.


I have a second conscience. His name is Simon. I love him. He keeps me from being an idiot.

As a fairly emotional woman, I tend to want to fly off and do things without much forethought. It used to get me into trouble pretty often--mostly when I said things I shouldn't say to the wrong people. But it also included buying random, unnecessary things, wasting time in stupid ways, reacting badly or emotionally to something, and even just being selfish. Simon has helped me with this. And continues to.

If I can remember--and I'm trying to make it habit--I check back with Mental Simon before I do things I know might be...something an idiot would do. And then, I know what he would say. And I do not do that thing.

But, really, what this comes down to--what Simon has lovingly, almost wordlessly taught me--is being thoughtful of others. Being loving as God is love. Putting others' feelings and needs ahead of my own. Not taking the risk that you might be sinning, no matter how good it feels or how much you want to. Another name for it is self-control.

I need the bracelet: WWSS?

2 comments:

Simon James said...

That's very nice of you to say, and I hope I indeed do those things. However, if you don't stop posting nice things about me, you're going to run out of content very soon.
You'd be better off writing about my bad side, that would provide topics for years.

Simon James said...

P.S. What did you almost do?